When To Replace A Garage Door
Garage doors can go for a long time without needing a replacement, especially if they are cleaned and maintained according to the manufacturer’s instructions. If you are a homeowner wondering when the best time to replace your garage door is, the following signs will tell you when it is time.
1. Wear And Tear Damage
Even with proper maintenance and cleaning, it is bound to get damages from wear and tear. If you notice some signs of wear and tear damages, it is best to replace the door before it causes severe injuries. They may be caused by;
• Weight- The lifting cable and springs of the door may suffer damages over time due to the weight, resulting in the door snapping and falling.
• Debris and dirt in the rollers- Debris and dirt building up inside the rollers can cause track misalignment, mostly signified by a noise as the door opens or closes.
• Weather damages- Rain, Wind, Snow, and UV light can gradually cause rust, discoloration, and the door’s warping.
2. If The Garage Door Does Not Open Or Close
This is one of the key ways to know that it is time for a garage door replacement.it can be caused by;
• Damaged door opener- There May be a fault I the automated reversal feature of your garage door, which can not only be a safety hazard but also make your garage vulnerable to thieves.
• Faulty remote control- Try replacing the batteries of your remote or having the motor unit checked.
• Misaligned photo-eye- The photo-eye detects the smallest obstructions in the way of the garage door and activates the automatic reversal feature.
3. Obvious Damage
Broken lift cables and springs- A broken spring or lifting cable can be dangerous because it can cause the door to snap and fall.
• Track misalignment- You will know if your door has fallen off its track because it will no longer open or close.
• Dents- They not only prevent the door’s smooth movement along the track, but they also increase the chances of theft.
4. The Door Being A Safety Hazard
Sometimes the garage door poses harm to the family more than it protects it. For example;
• Outdated technology- That may be a reason for thieves to target your garage.
• Damaged photo-eye- It will not detect if someone is in the way of your garage door.
5. Increasing Energy Costs
If your garage door is old, it will lose insinuation over time, which will increase your energy bills. Some of the ways to improve the garage door’s efficiency are;
• Better insinuation.
• Switch off the HVAC system when the garage temperature is comfortable.
• Use the latest technology.
If you need help with ideas for your garage door, we can help you here.