Cleaning Your Garage Door
Did you know your garage door needs regular cleaning? More importantly, do you know how to properly clean your garage door?
Since your garage door is constantly exposed to the elements, it is susceptible to dirt buildup. Over time, the exposure to wind, rain, dirt and dust can leave your garage door looking dirty and unattractive. Not only is dirt build up unpleasant to see, but not properly maintaining the door can void its warranty. Oil and dirt particles can build up leading to mechanical failures not covered under the warranty. It is recommended that the garage door be properly cleaned twice a year.
When to clean the garage door
Under normal conditions, a garage door should be cleaned of all dirt build up twice a year. However, in more extreme exposure areas such as coastal areas, deserts, or areas with high dust and pollen, cleaning may have to be done more frequently. When dirt buildup is visible on your garage door, it is time to clean it.
What is needed to clean the garage door?
The following tools are necessary for cleaning a garage door:
- Bucket of water
- A water hose
- A soft dust-free cloth
How to clean the garage door
- Mix soap with water in the bucket
- Wet the surface of the door with a hose or light spraying pressure washer.
- Gently scrub the door with the dust free cloth and soapy water. Take care not to damage the garage door with harsh scrubbing
- Once the door is soaped and visible dirt buildup removed, use the hose to thoroughly rinse off the soap.
- Wipe off all the water with another dust-free cloth.
Note: If the garage door has windows, clean them just as you would household windows with a soft cloth and window cleaner.
What to avoid when cleaning the garage door?
- Do not use a strong pressure washer
- Do not use highly abrasive scrubbers or cleansers
- Do not mix bleach with other household cleaners. This can cause dangerous chemical reactions
Cleaning your garage door twice a year can help you avoid costly repairs. When the need for a professional is necessary contact Top Choice Garage Doors at (703) 686-8998.